Ven Johnson has been representing victims against insurance companies, big business and government for more than 31 years. He has handled cases in state and federal courts in most Michigan jurisdictions and in courtrooms throughout the United States, winning over $200 million in jury verdicts and achieving case settlements of more than $400 million.
Originally from Saginaw, Ven earned his undergraduate degree at Kalamazoo College in 1983 and received his Juris Doctor at the University of Detroit School of Law in 1986. After working for some of the most respected personal injury law firms in Michigan, Ven joined Fieger, Fieger, and Schwartz in 1995. In 2001, less than six years after joining the firm, Ven was named Senior Partner.
In 2011, Ven opened his own personal injury law firm, Johnson Law, in Detroit’s historic Buhl Building. Less than three years later Ven expanded his practice, opening an office in downtown Grand Rapids. In 2017, Ven opened his third office in Flint with plans to move to the historical Capital Theatre in early 2018.
Ven has been recognized by legal organizations and publications across the United States for his contributions and achievements in the field of personal injury law. Most recently he was honored with the “Respected Advocate Award”. This award is given by the Michigan Association of Justice and the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel to recognize and honor an individual’s history of successful representation of clients and adherence to the highest standards of ethics.
An active supporter of the legal community, Ven is a member of numerous legal organizations and has served as the President and Vice President of the Michigan Association of Justice (MAJ). He is also part of the American Association of Justice’s (AAJ) Leader’s Forum and is on the executive board for the Police Misconduct litigation section.
He continues to lecture on numerous litigation issues in Michigan and across the United States, as well as support young lawyers through speaking engagements, internships and more. An expert in the field of personal injury law, Ven is often called upon by news organizations, including Fox 2’s “Let it Rip” to speak on legal matters.
Committed to the communities in which he works, Ven actively supports a multitude of organizations, including:
- Detroit College of Law
- Detroit Free Press – Chemical Bank Marathon
- Downtown Boxing Gym, Detroit
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
- Humble Design
- Mittens for Detroit
- Palmer Park Tennis Academy, Detroit
- USTA Boys National Championships, Kalamazoo College
- 5/3 River Bank Run, Grand Rapids
- and more
- American Association for Justice – Leaders Forum (AAJ)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- American Inn of Court – Detroit
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA)
- Detroit Metro Bar
- Federal Bar Association (FBA)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Macomb County Bar
- Melvin M. Belli Society
- Michigan Association for Justice (MAJ)
President, 2016; Vice President, 2015
- Oakland County Bar
- Saginaw Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan Negligence Section
Chair, 2016-17; Treasurer, 2013-14
- Respected Advocate Award Winner, 2016
- Crain’s Detroit Business, Top 14 Litigators, 2016
- d Business Top Lawyers: 2012 – present
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Super Lawyers Top 100: 2016 – present
- Super Lawyers: 2007 – present
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Leaders in the Law, 2015