Headlines

Ven Johnson of Johnson Law, PLC Announces Friday Press Conference with Family of Bryan Douglas-Watts

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 18, 2017

SOUTH BEND, IN – Attorney Ven Johnson of Johnson Law, PLC will hold a press conference Friday, May 19, 2017 at 4:30 pm. Johnson will be joined by Paula Watts, the mother of 13-year-old Bryan Douglas-Watts, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, MI, on April 1, 2017. The conference will be held at the law offices of Sweeney Julian, P.C. (1620 South Bend Avenue, South Bend, IN 46617).

Johnson recently filed a lawsuit on behalf of Bryan’s family and five other victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. The lawsuit names Quality Inn & Suites franchise owner Jayesh Patel, and parent company Choice Hotels International, Inc. as responsible for the incident. It is believed that a faulty pool heater system and absence of a working carbon monoxide detector caused the pool area to fill with carbon monoxide.

The goal of this lawsuit is to not only compensate the innocent victims of this tragedy, but to shine a light on the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of new legislation. Current Michigan law only requires new commercial buildings built after 2009 to have carbon monoxide detectors.

Johnson stated, “This truly is a silent killer. Without working carbon monoxide detectors or alarms you don’t know what’s happening until it’s too late. Michigan law does not do enough to protect our people. Even worse, based upon our research, Indiana and Ohio have no laws on the books whatsoever requiring CO detectors. We must draw attention to the obvious safety hazard and work together on legislation to prevent this tragedy from ever happening again.”

_____________________________

Johnson Law, PLC is a personal injury law firm specializing in vehicle negligence, product liability, medical malpractice, police misconduct and more. Visit http://www.venjohnsonlaw.com/ for more information.

CONTACT US